For over 100 years International Women’s Day has celebrated the achievements of women worldwide and the struggle for gender equality. Women have come a long way in their struggle for equality, but there is still a long distance to cover. Despite the great strides women and girls from all walks of life have made, endemic challenges often mired in cultural, social, and political norms still keep half the population worldwide from realizing its full potential.
This year’s theme for Women’s Day ‘Be Bold For Change’ calls for encouraging women to be bolder, stronger and more powerful in all spheres of life.
I celebrated this day by reminding myself of some powerful statements, made by women and for women, that inspires me to celebrate womanhood in all its glory. Here are few of them:
- “At the end of the day, don’t forget that you are a person, don’t forget you are a mother, don’t forget you are a wife, don’t forget you are a daughter.” – Indra Nooyi
- “Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It’s about knowing and accepting who you are.” – Ellen DeGeneres
- “Don’t let anyone tell you you’re weak because you’re a woman.” – Mary Kom
- “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
- “There is only ONE sign that a woman wants to have sex and that is that she says YES.” – Deepika Padukone
- “Girls should never be afraid to be smart.” – Emma Watson